Alternate Reality: The City (Atari 8-bit) 1985
First game using ray casting, first first person game with visible sky and background
1) Most others 3D first-person games in these times used static graphics to represent the walls, meaning the player could only move one tile at a time. However, in this game the rate
of travel depended on the character's speed, and moved incrementally along the tile. Distant walls would slowly come in to focus rather than suddenly appear.
2) Alternate Reality had a raycasting engine equaling that of Wolfenstein 3D , which came seven years later, but was recognized for popularizing the system. However, the design implemented right-angle movement only.
3) Ray casting is the most basic of many computer graphics rendering algorithms that use the geometric algorithm of ray tracing. Ray tracing-based rendering algorithms operate in image order
to render three-dimensional scenes to two-dimensional images. Geometric rays are traced from the eye of the observer to sample the light (radiance) travelling toward the observer from the ray
direction. The speed and simplicity of ray casting comes from computing the color of the light without recursively tracing additional rays that sample the radiance incident on the point that the
ray hit. This eliminates the possibility of accurately rendering reflections, refractions, or the natural falloff of shadows; however all of these elements can be faked to a degree, by creative
use of texture maps or other methods. The high speed of calculation made ray casting a handy rendering method in early real-time 3D video games.
4) The first game of the series, The City, also featured a novel anti-copying technique. The program disks could be copied though the standard methods and the copy would appear to work. However not long after the player began the game, their character would become weaker and weaker and then die from an apparent disease. (Something similar come out in Mirror's Edge (08)
5) Due to budget constraints, the first game was released, essentially, without a plot.
Site Developed from 2008-2014
Site Launched -2014 may
Google Chrome and Opera is best option fot this site!
tags: history of videogames, ultimate history of video games, evolution of videogames, история видеоигр, история компьютерных игр, history of video games,
ultimate history of videogames,#gaming #videogames #gamesHashtag