Death Race (arcade) 1976
Emulation: only simulation
First game that inspired first-ever protests over a video game, 2nd controversial game (after Gotcha), first violent controversial game, first graphically controversial game
Arcade system: unique
1) The game inspired by the 1975's film Death Race 2000.
2) Although the graphics are primitive and monochrome, the "gremlins" resemble stick figures, and the game's working title had been "Pedestrian". In spite of Exidy president Pete Kaufman's denial that the intent of the game was to promote violence, Death Race provoked media criticism. The National Safety Council called it "gross". The CBS news program 60 Minutes broadcast an investigation into the psychological impact of video games, and the game was covered on NBC's Weekend news show, and in the National Enquirer.
3) The game was nearly banned for explict content.The controversy had reportedly started when a AP reporter in Seattle saw children playing the game and thought that the sound effects the pedestrians made when hit sounded like 'shrieking children'. Before the controversy, the game sold only 200 copies - afterwards, Exidy produced about 3,000 (including PCB sales).
3) Game had at that time same effect as Grand Theft Auto 3 (2001).
4) Remake for Playstation and Sega Saturn in 1996 was canceled.
5) Game is conversion of arcade game "Destruction Derby" from 1975.
Eugene Register-Guard - Dec 26,
Site Developed from 2008-2014
Site Launched -2014 may
Google Chrome and Opera is best option fot this site!
tags: history of videogames, ultimate history of video games, evolution of videogames, история видеоигр, история компьютерных игр, history of video games,
ultimate history of videogames,#gaming #videogames #gamesHashtag