Descent (DOS) 1994
First enemies in full 3D using polygon meshes (a technique employed by Quake one year later) , first true 3D textured environments in a video game,
first static lighting scheme as well as simple dynamic lighting, where the environment could be lit with flares, first portal rendering, first nearest-neighbor
1) Descent's unique movement controls also increase the possibility for players to experience motion sickness or nausea – a common complaint found in reviews for the game. Strangely same complaint was when people played Wolfenstein 3D and Doom for first time back then (maybe for people 3D First-person shooters was something new so effect was in pseudo sickness or nausea)
2) The first three levels begin on the Moon, the next two on Venus, and two more on Mercury. The software renderer also uses nearest-neighbor texture filtering, as opposed to bilinear filtering or trilinear filtering used by modern video cards. Nearest-neighbor texture filtering causes aliasing artifacts, such as blocky textures. These rendering compromises allowed the game to be played on most PCs contemporary with it, while better rendering techniques would have prevented it from being run on any but the most powerful gaming PCs in 1994.
3) The game was originally titled Inferno and was to take place in space stations rather than mines.
4) Support for Head mounted display (Virtual I-O's Iglasses! head tracking and stereoscopic 3D in 320x400 mode).
5) A polygon mesh is a collection of vertices, edges and faces that defines the shape of a polyhedral object in 3D computer graphics and solid model
6) In computer-generated imagery and real-time 3D computer graphics, portal rendering is an algorithm for visibility determination. For example, consider a 3D computer game environment, which may contain many polygons, only a few of which may be visible on screen at a given time. By determining which polygons are currently not visible, and not rendering those objects, significant performance improvements can be achieved.
Site Developed from 2008-2014
Site Launched -2014 may
Google Chrome and Opera is best option fot this site!
tags: history of videogames, ultimate history of video games, evolution of videogames, история видеоигр, история компьютерных игр, history of video games,
ultimate history of videogames,#gaming #videogames #gamesHashtag